Dropping supplies and backing off may not be perfect, but it beats most of the alternatives. Handing individuals water and food takes an incredible amount of time and is totally unrealistic. I know we like to think here in our 'civilized' countries that places like Haiti are filled with nothing but profiteers, but I don't think that is the case. Honore' said much of the looting in NOLA was for things like mattresses to keep Grandma off the ground.

Regarding security: the 'peacekeeping forces' only work during daylight hours??? They couldn't establish a security perimeter around the medical facility? Whose ego was getting in the way THIS time?

As to rebuilding, forget the First World building codes! There are cheap ways to build decent homes that don't involve nitpicking, common-senseless bureaucrats. And the first person to mention flush toilets should be shot, hung and crucified (in any order).

But I'm sure that the rebuilding will involve the most cost, the least sense, the most expensive materials and methods, and the most First World contractors stuffing their pockets.

Sue, who is reaching beyond cynical