Dumping supplies out the door of a helo isn't optimal, but what you don't see is once the young and the strong get the supplies, what do they do with them - I wager a fair amount get brought back and shared with a waiting family, parent, children or someone else who isn't as young or strong. Not every bit of food put out the door goes on some mythical black market. It may sound kind of Malthusian, but if you can't securely feed this many people at once, you may need to drop some supplies in today, get most of them fed, and try to deal with the unrest among (better) fed people. Could this mean that someone who needed food or water to survive didn't get any today? Possibly, and among a population of 3 million its pretty likely. People will continue to die until the response can effectively bring in enough to feed everyone, tha't a fact.

It's impossible to judge the Belgian medicos who bugged out, we can't assess the situation they found themselves in. You can't be scared of the people you are trying to help, at the same time your security force can't make a decision to leave for the night unless its a very serious situation. I don't know the rate of drug abusers in a place like Haiti, but its probably at least as high as in the US, just with cheaper narcotics and cruder alternatives. Drug abusers come out of disasters too, and they still need their fixes, and conceivably a medical aid unit with pain killers might become a target for that, 5 days out from the main disaster. I don't know though...