Originally Posted By: Arney
Do that over a tent city or any other unsecured area of Port-Au-Prince now and I'm pretty sure that it would turn into a Lord of the Flies free-for-all where the young and strong take it all.

Saturday was the first day I saw TV images of trucks going out with relief supplies and distributing them to the people. I was also a bit surprised to see Blackhawks dumping supplies in various locations. I'm not aware of any deaths, but as you'd expect, it was the strongest and fastest to the supplies who got anything from these air drops. In a couple cases, you saw cardboard cases of HDR's being dropped out the side doors as the chopper hovered over some clearing. In another case, it landed away from an encampment and the crew chiefs were throwing cases of bottled water out onto the ground as fast they could. In the distance, you could see throngs of Haitians running towards them.

Definitely, not the best way to do it. But when you're talking about life and death, at some point, something--anything--is better than not doing anything at all, I guess. I assume that the roads are still largely impassable and that there is a huge shortage of trucks and fuel. Also, it's kind of ridiculous how much security you need to organize the distribution from just one truck. You could see this long cordon of soldiers necessary to funnel the people single file and keep them from rushing the truck all at once, and in that particular occasion, it seemed to work well and even women and children were getting supplies. If that's what it takes for every truckload, though, seems like you'd run out of soldiers really quickly.