Originally Posted By: gryps

... and offers a cautionary tale about the accuracy or 'current' media reporting.

What got the media in trouble was passing on official statements from the mayor and police chief. Normally that's a reasonable thing to do, but not with New Orleans officials.

Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
...an Amphibious Assault Group would be handy for putting large amounts of supplies ashore at many sites...it's probably the group most able to move thousands of tons of supplies to many minimally-prepared sites.

But I guess you could just zoom onto the beach with your supplies riding on LCAC's (hovercrafts). Quite an expensive ferry service there.

I doubt any other method is even 1/10th the cost. On the other hand, there may be no other way to get supplies ashore right now. But Nighthiker says there isn't any way to move supplies inland so it may be a moot problem.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom

In an effort to keep up the interesting and mature discussion, would temporary ports like those used by Allied forces at Normandy on D-Day be viable? I know those were built way ahead of time but surely there is something similar that could be used now.

Those were purpose-built for that operation at that site. I don't believe such things are viable any more from a military standpoint. I think today you land via helicopter an hovercraft, secure a site for an airstrip, then capture a harbor.