Originally Posted By: Arney
I really think it's a race between showing the people that food, water, medical care, taking care of the dead is here or at least imminent, and the boiling over of frustrated and desperate Haitians.

I haven't watched any TV this morning yet, but I was just reading that a TIME magazine photographer has seen two roadblocks Haitians set up downtown using the corpses of their fellow Haitians to protest the slowness of the relief operations. Yikes, that's a bad sign!

That's a horrifying sight to imagine, but there's a gruesome logic to it, I guess. The shock value of using bodies sends a signal to the government and anyone watching in the rest of the world on TV. And the roadblock is probably a way to try and get any relief trucks to stop at their street instead of passing through. Well, and there's always the possibility of robbing passing vehicles or demanding some sort of "toll", I guess.

If these roadblocks are part of a wider trend, that's going to make transportation even harder. Not only do you have earthquake-related debris blocking roads, but soon the Haitians themselves will be purposely blocking roads for selfish, but understandable reasons, too.