Chris,
Quote:
How does the mirror compare to a starflash (or any other plastic mil-spec mirror, the starflash is just the one I am familiar with)

I cannot say at this point, per se, because we have not yet seen full production conforming prototypes. Compared to the StarFlash, I think it will be as easy or easier to aim since I find a grid easier to use than the edge of the "star." YMMV It will have more surface area since it has no "rim" as the StarFlash has, so it will have a proportionally larger reflective area, always a plus. Overall reflective performance will be comparable, I think, to the StarFlash, perhaps better since the latest StarFlashes don't seem to be as effective as earlier production units. It will certainly be capable of generating an effective signal out 10-20 miles under ideal conditions. It may or may not float, that depends on a lot of factors having to do with the final material selection that have not yet been finalized. The StarFlash floats because it is hollow inside, the polycarbonate is heavier than water. Some acrylics are lighter. Best answer I can provide at this time.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com