Originally Posted By: Mark_M
I frequently see paracord in USK's. I have 50' of it in my USK. But I wonder what practical benefits paracord provides versus smaller 1/8" cord. Another thread (no pun intended) already dismissed its usefulness for climbing, rappeling or abseiling. I cannot envision needing to build a raft or a substantial shelter in an urban environment. It would seem to me that an equal length of 1/8" cord would be just as practical while taking up half the space.

In what urban situations do you envision where paracord would be necessary versus 1/8" cord?

Mark_M:

I haven't thought about 1/8" cord vs paracord--I just happened to have the paracord.

I'm thinking in general terms--making a belt of sorts if I need one or a shoulder strap. In a building collapse you often have stuck doors--very hard to pull the doorknob, and only one person at a time can try it. Maybe you could wrap the cord around the knob and a few people could pull at the same time. You could hold bandages in place. Might give you some leverage if you're climbing over things and need to latch on. Could wrap it around head to make an eyepatch. I think there are a lot of unintended uses that any good cord could handle.

I don't envision sewing with its innards or using as dental floss...although the dental floss aspect might actually help if you have a mouthful of dirt.

Edited by UrbanKathy (12/12/09 03:08 AM)