Times like these I am reminded of the Duke in "3 Godfathers" when it's down to just him and the baby and he's struggling to keep going, and he can hear the voices of the dead friends he left behind goading him on.

I am also reminded of the scene from Eddie Murphy's "Holy Man", where he is coaching a man through an imagined plane crash. In the scene, he has the man focus on his family, how much he is loved, and how well he's done taking care of them, knowing they will be okay without him now.

Often we make a lot more out of a seemingly bad situation than it really is. I prefer to look at any given event in my life as an opportunity; a chance to experience another adventure. It's okay to be scared at times. Heck, that's half the fun and thrill of the big roller coaster rides. But we need to learn that what scares us doesn't need to overwelm our reasoning. Even the unkown can be faced with courage. After all, death brings us all to the great unknown in the end, so it is always a part of our existence. In this day and age, most of us get quite disconnected from that reality, which I think is what makes it so hard for us to cope with more trivial adversities.

Knowing that despite your best efforts you are gonna die someday is a pretty darned good slap in the face with the gauntlet of reality.