"If there is danger present - why on earth DON'T people flee? It seems like such an obvious thing to do."

I've asked that here more than once, and asked myself that about fifty times when I used to watch the news.

Not fleeing from the iffy things, like a volcano eruption, I can kinda-sorta understand. It may not happen. Maybe.

The hurricane-type things are probably due to complacency - "We've always survived it before". (I'm not including the poor in NOLA who didn't have much choice.)

But the ones who drive me absolutely crazy are the wildfire fools. There is a wildfire or a firestorm coming right at you, and you stand outside your house on the hill like you could actually DO something. Just plain stupid.

Also, of course, is the American Way of rushing to help people in trouble. Many people take advantage of this, and think a last-minute rescue is their right when the disaster hits full-blast and they suddenly change their tiny little minds and scream for help. They're putting other people's lives in danger, but they simply don't care about that. All they care about is what they want. Stupid. And I think we probably need to stop doing that.

Sue