Originally Posted By: philip

There are problems. Unlike Texas, I basically have only one escape route: south. I live on a peninsula:

The schwimwagen ("swimming car") is a hilarious proposal, but it made me thinking. I don't know if a boat is a viable option for you? Unless you enjoy boating it would be another of those "better to have it and not need it" - items, but get far less attention than a schwimwagen....

An 17 foot boat can easily transport loads of gear and about 5 people, and is still small enough to be transported on a regular trailer pulled by an ordinary car. You would need to have some arrangements on your destination, such as friends coming to pick you up. You also need good weather forecasts - you don't want to be surprised by bad weather in a 17-footer, particular when loaded to maximum capacity.

It would give you another option to your 1-month bug-out plan: If staying around gets frustrating after a while, you still have the option of using your boat to get basically anywhere within your fuel capacity range. Which is FAR...