As noted, you really want to think about the situations you are trying to prepare for and work from there.

I live in a suburban area, but work about 25 miles away in a downtown high-rise in earthquake country.

This is my EDC urban kit:

EDC Kit

Actually, I suppose I've made a few adjustments, but the kit is largely the same.

Obviously, you are interested in a much more streamlined kit. From that perspective, I'd try to keep it simple.

- Always have a good knife on your person.
- Always have light.
- Always have sensible shoes and clothes.
- Water.
- Water.
- Flat dust masks.
- Always have a means to make fire.

In reality, just these few items probably could serve you pretty well.

When thinking to expand, consider:

- Trauma bandage.
- Small roll duct tape.
- Small radio.
- Cell phone.
- Cord.
- Navigation assistance (map or GPS) if it makes sense.
- Gloves.

Extra credit:

- Small pry bar.

Remember dehydration is an enemy. Water is your friend. Also, a little fuel (food) can help keep your body moving. A Snickers bar or two in your bag might help you on the top of the curve.

If you are trying to keep this lean, remember high speed, low drag. What do you need to keep moving.

Then, think through what-if situations. Consider what you've picked. Consider the pros and cons. Would something else work better than a particular item?

Keep honing the list. Note the situations your gear doesn't help you.

Post the situation and list here for feedback. I did a lot of thinking about my first aid kit for example, then posted here. I got a lot of good feedback that helped me further refine the kit.

-john

Given what I can see of your list, I'd consider adding:

- Knife
- Trauma bandage
- Duct tape
- Couple of snacks
- Couple of fold flat dust masks
- Pair of well fitting leather gloves

Edited by JohnN (11/24/09 03:34 AM)