Originally Posted By: SCKAUTOCRAFT
Our family just got through a bout with H1N1. Our son brought it home from school. then my wife and then me. It had the hardest effect on our 15yr old. We all took Tamiflu. It was like any other flu. Also we use germ x like crazy,wash hands often, I would perform saline flush in sinus cavity and listerine gargles,but still got it!

I'm a little surprised that your doctor prescribed Tamiflu because recent strains of H1N1 have been shown to be resistant. Relenza was shown to be more effective at preventing or treating H1N1 (and is also less expensive, though less convenient as it is an inhaled powder), and has been authorized by the CDC for use as a prophylaxis and treatment for H1N1. This may explain why your entire family got sick in spite of taking antivirals.

In a family situation it is virtually impossible to avoid cross contamination unless you employ hospital type isolation, protection, hygiene and disinfecting techniques. Each cough and sneeze distributes droplets of mucous over a surprisingly far and wide area, and the virus can live for up to 8 hours on dry surface -- longer on a moist one.

I know a lot of natural/alternative health sites claim that because the virus takes 2-3 days to "incubate" you can stay healthy by using saline washes, gargling, using lemon oil, oregano oil, peppermint oil, even garlic. Incubate isn't an accurate term. Once the virus has entered your mouth, lungs or sinuses you are fairly certainly infected. It doesn't take 2-3 days for the virus to activate, this is time it takes the virus already in your system to reproduce sufficiently to cause you to feel sick.

However, it might be possible that some natural/alternative health protocols will promote general good health and improved immune systems, thereby lessening the effects of an infection. Perhaps this is why you fared better than your 15yo.

And at least the garlic will keep you safe from vampires. wink