Originally Posted By: Pete

1. If you sleeping in a makeshift shelter such as a lean-to, locate the shelter to minimize problems from the wind and cold.

2. If possible, line the inner wall of your lean-to with a foil survival bag. I'm not a big fan of these bags as "sleeping bags", but they are great for reflecting heat.

I am no expert, but locally cedar trees tend to be very dry right around the trunk for several feet in diameter, such that a night beneath a cedar can be very dry even in a driving rain. Locate your shelter on the side away from the prevailing winds, and you might be fairly warm too.

Ditto also the earlier observation, someone said locating yourself up out of gulleys can raise the ambient temperature by ten degrees.

Long, long time ago I remember my scoutmaster dad showing us cub scouts how to cover ourselves in branches and cedar bits underneath a tree - literally dig down six inches and use it to cover your lower body. That was summer, the ground was dry, and I seem to recall we were all really warm and there was enough dross or duff that we didn't get too dirty or wet, but I don't know if I could replicate those daytime conditions in a cold, driving rain. Now though I would still choose a cedar for shelter, first try to build up a bit of insulation underneath me from branches, then possibly build a bit of a hut over me to retain a chance at some warmth. I have already spent the night out in the AMK bivvy so know that would be a good start and keep me alive. I am a big believer that if you can stay dry, with minimal preparations you have a good chance at retaining warmth, and living through any night.