Very clever approach to the container selection (as a multy use item), UrbanKathy. Thank you for sharing!

So, it looks like the content of a pocket kit is pretty much covered for now. Let's share the pocket kit container ideas.

I'm thinking of a heavy modification of the stainless hip style flask like this:

(8oz)

It fits very well in my pockets (ScotteVest, jeans, other jackets). Very rigid, and most importantly (IMO) will allow to boil a decent amount of water. I plan to cut it about 1/2" from the top side and then weld/glue a tall steel lip around the bottom part's opening to accept the top part as a snug fit lid. With some means of hermetic closure (perhaps a gasket and some latch mechanism) I hope to keep the watertight flask function intact.

I know, a piece of aluminum foil is considered the classic ultimate pocket substitution for a boiling vessel. However my experience of carrying it in the pocket kit shows that it's too fragile for that. After a while it wears into holes along the folding lines and became almost useless.

Edited by Alex (11/12/09 02:17 AM)