PUMPKIN -- a preparedness item for dogs.

When my pup was having anal gland problems my vet got me to start feeding her canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling).

She loves it and it significantly firmed up her stools to help the glands express naturally. Pumpkin is so helpful to dogs that I now always keep at least a couple big cans in the pantry.

Pumpkin alleviates constipation and diarrhea so it's essentially a First-Aid item. It can also help with weight loss if you substitute pumpkin for a portion of your dog's kibble.

Highly recommend throwing a couple cans in your shopping cart next time you're at the grocery. If your pup is not enamored with the pumpkin try mixing it with plain yogurt (also vet-recommended).

http://www.examiner.com/x-2111-Tacoma-Dogs-Examiner~y2009m9d19-Pets-101-Try-some-tasty-pumpkin-in-your-dogs-food

"...pumpkin, a trademark of Fall, is actually an excellent addition to a dog's diet. Canned pumpkin (in its pure form, with no added sugar or spices) is an excellent source of Vitamin A, potassium, and fiber.

"Pumpkin puree can help remedy both constipation and diarrhea, making it a useful tool for dogs with digestive issues. Small amounts go a long way (1-2 teaspoons for small dogs and 1-3 tablespoons for larger breed dogs), and typically, dogs enjoy the taste.

"to cut calories, consider adding some pumpkin puree to the diet as you cut back on the kibble. The added fiber will help fill up your dog without adding unwanted calories."