My home to work is about 7 miles. I've walked it once when the snow stalled traffic on icy streets, and have ridden my bike to work often enough to know I don't want to ride my bike - too much riding in car traffic. I know one bike shop a few blocks from work where I might buy a bike, but in most circumstances their credit card processing will be down, and if the owner has any wits he will be locked up - most bikes cost more than I carry as pocket change. So if something hits, I plan to walk, its part of my plan worked out with my family:

- check my local environment (workplace): assist anyone who needs help. That may take a while. Phone / message my out of state contact, telling them I'm okay and where I'm moving next, ultimate destination home.
- message and meet up with brothers 2 and 4, who work nearby. We have a contingency to meet outside my building. Brother 2 lives a few blocks from me, brother 4 in another direction. Assess transportation and communications, then head for home. Brother 4 will almost always go another direction, but if we can drive we will divert in direction of his home to see him most of the way home. Vehicle is just that, when the road ends or becomes impassable we get out and walk. It's just a car, I have others.
- check in at the high school my son attends. Schools have a disaster plan, hold til release. That means I need to come and get #1 son or he sleeps on the floor there. I helped pack their container a few weeks ago, its as good a place as any to spend a night. Pick up son, head for home.
- getting from HS to home actually involves a detour around a slough and lots of land that will liquefy in a bad earthquake. It adds 3 miles to the walk home, which is okay, but son will complain.
- home. If my wife has been nearby during an event we'll find her there, if not we may divert to whatever direction she was last located. #1 daughter is now across the lake at college, unless the floating bridges are open there's no way to contact her. Once home I have ham frequencies and contacts on the west side of the lake, if I can raise them I can initiate a message giving our status and trying to find out hers, hopefully she remembers to contact our out of state contact. I also message out of state contacts to give them our status and whereabouts, and try some in-state relatives that should be outside the disaster area. Otherwise I change socks, eat, drink, rub my feet, and take a deep breath. Getting home was an adventure, but I'm sure the fun is just starting. Neighbors with cuts, broken arms and legs, head injuries, crush injuries no power, no food, isolated fires, probably no emergency responders in our area, missing kids and spouses, some fatalities, alot of stress, and people don't always respond well under stress. And I may be experiencing some of this firsthand, if my son or wife can't be found, or can't be moved. Any plan is just a best case - none of this get home plan happens if I'm under rubble or have a broken leg. Then I am depending on the kindness of strangers...