Thanks for the warm welcome! I was overdue in checking in.

As I get older I aim for boring, except for food, hobbies, and friends. The most dangerous thing I do these days is drive to work.

I grew up in the country, well before cell phones, and it was always expected of anyone sensible to have enough to be able to comfortably walk to the nearest house, which could be a couple of miles, or in really bad weather sleep comfortably in the car. I still plan for that, even though I always have a cell phone and at least one ham radio in the car.

This site helps me take that base set and build on it. I wouldn't know where to begin to list what I've learned, and it never ends. Tomorrow I'll be adding aspirin to my EDC.

The change of clothes in the car wasn't for a fire, just also something I've always done. It's handy if I'm stuck somewhere overnight, but also handy if somehow I wind up getting soaking wet. Also in the car that morning: 2m 50w ham radio, flashlights, blanket, reflective triangles, snow brush, towel, jumper cables, leatherman, small air compressor, maps. No fire kit, FAK, cord, or compass.

One of the things I've learned here is how much difference there can be in how the local climate will affect your situation, if things turn bad. I know the outdoors here well enough to know what I should pay attention to, but had no clue about the realities of the southwestern US. Upstate and north country NY has no shortage of water, easy to find and close. If I ever drive to Arizona, I swear I'm going to rent and drive a wildland fire tender.

Bear Grylls? I get the feeling if his writers were telling my story, I'd have put the fire out myself, by making hoses out of catfish skins sewn together.