Originally Posted By: Todd W
I've swam in the ocean many times and I would consider my hair to be "clean" when I got out.
yeah, I think just about everyone would. wink however, the OP was asking how to clean WITHOUT water. an ocean is a pretty dang large body of water last I checked, so not really a relevant suggestion.

[You can go 30+ days w/out washing your hair and be fine in my opinion...
it's not the hair, it's the scalp that needs to be cleaned. and 30+ days without ever washing your scalp, in a SHTF scenario... I'm thinking that the 3-5 minutes it takes to wash it once or twice a week is a far better and smarter than risking an infestation or infection that will take twice the resources and time to cure. wink

[If you haven't been around water for 30+ days you have more problems wink wink
or you live in the desert *cough* Arizona or Nevada *cough* wink jus' sayin

It just seems silly to me that some people are treating the OP's question like he/she is a vapid little flake who is just concerned with looking all prettys during the PAW. I think it's a valid question and those who are dismissing it either conveniently don't have much hair at all, or aren't interested in learning something that may end up being beneficial at some point. I mean, dweste is not asking about styling hair or how to maintain highlights or do a manicure or do makeup. The question was about washing, a basic function. And while he/she asked about washing hair, do we really need to focus on that little semantic issue because the word "head" or "scalp" wasn't used instead? It seems clear what the actual intent was.

As I see it, the OP is asking how to stay somewhat clean on a very basic no-frills level under circumstances where the usual conveniences of life don't exist. Isn't that the kind of thing we should know? Heck, if you don't have much hair wouldn't this be helpful knowledge to pass on to a wife, girlfriend, mom, sister, daughter, or friend that does? I know I'm new here, but I'm really not seeing the harm in this thread or the need for the snarks and dismissals to an earnest inquiry.