I can see Matthew already decided on a knife (congrats), but for anyone else who may read this later looking for a knife I wanted to give a +1 to haertig's post on the previous page. I've used both the standard Spyderco and the Byrd line and I've been very happy. Another Spyderco in that price range that's gotten good reviews is the Tenacious, which has been described as a real workhorse knife. Lots seem to prefer it in the full serrated.

Originally Posted By: Matthew_Long
strong feelings on plain vs. serrated?
(again, for any future readers) I have a combo edge on my 3.25" folder (Spyderco CatByrd, liner lock) and I actually like it. I use the knife several times a week and find it gives me flexibility for use. I can do fine cuts with the plain edge and I've used the serrated when cutting rope or opening boxes. Basically it lets me do both push cutting and slice cutting with one knife. The blade is long enough that I don't feel it's suffering from the "neither here nor there" issue. I like the combo edge for a multi-purpose knife, but I know some disagree.

FWIW, I have a plain edge Mora knife for different use, that's in my BOB. And the small Spyderco Finch (Byrd line, folder, lockback) in serrated edge for EDC/purse.

ETA: forgot to mention my bf has a small Spyderco lockback, 1.875" blade, full serration. I can't recall the model offhand because it's not longer produced, but I've borrowed it often and don't mind the full serration at that size at all.

When I was looking at knives I asked the same PE vs. SE question on knife forums and the answer usually ended up being "it depends" or "I like this... but they like that". laugh PE seems to be a good solid choice and is less complicated to sharpen if you're in doubt. But others argue that a SE is more practical for daily use (such as around the home or office) and it's easy to learn to sharpen serrations. So yeah, it seems there's no right answer. wink