In addition to what I've read, the color of your gear and clothing and a description of your snax/gum/cigarettes and any other clue you might leave behind would be helpful. The brand and model of footgear, along wth size, is helpful. Also medical conditions including required medication, and who you will contact if you come out in a different area. The footprint in foil is a good idea, if you can do it.

While this is helpful to have in a note: ...."If I am in trouble I am heading East to Boulder creek.", it is much, much, MUCH more helpful if folks just stay put when they realize they are in trouble. It could save thousands of man hours, injury or death to SAR personnel and $$$,$$$ that does come out of our tax money.

One search I was involved in for a group of youths with adult leaders that should have known better involved their splitting up and continuing in two groups to try to find their way back. A search helicopter crashed which caused severe injuries to all but 1 of the 7 on board. One was crippled and medically retired, one was severely disabled (quad) but refused to retire... until recently.

Consider the toll that vanity takes...