Hey,

As we spoke before a block heater is a must-have item. I also sometimes see a Battery Blanket, which is an electric wrap for around your battery. I do not use one but I buy the best battery I can find and keep a Power Box (battery booster pack) close by.

Many worksites have electric power sockets (either on posts or hanging from suspended wires) spread throughout the parking lot, that way your vehicle will start when it is time to go home from work.

I have never used a diesel vehicle but I see lots of them idleing for extended periods of time, both in town and out in the bush. In remote places I remember the loggers using a type of propane fired engine heater that heated the coolant and cycled it through the heavy equipment?

At my old hunt camp 30 years ago we had to park our vehicles at the end of a dead-end road and access the camp by snowmobile. We would remove the batteries and keep them warm in the cabin. If it was really cold (> -30) then we would light a campfire at the vehicle site, scoop-up some of the hot coals on a shovel and place it under the oil pan. You had to be very careful not to light your vehicle on fire or burn the seals doing this trick, but it worked.

Mike