Definitely, this is something DW and I strive to install in our children. One way we've been working on this arose from something we read in Malcom Gladwell's book Outliers: The Story of Success. While doing research for this book he noticed an interesting trend where young children (4yrs old and up) from wealthy/successful families were encouraged by their parents to interact directly with adults rather than the parents doing it on there behalf. For instance, at a doctor's visit the child answers all the doc's questions. Obviously if the child leaves something out the parent reminds the child but doesn't step into the conversation unless something major is being overlooked. Meanwhile, in poorer households the parent(s)handled all the child's interactions with adults, the kids were just passive.

We follow the first principle. Whether it's a doctor, librarian, or someone is handing out free balloons DD1 (6yr) and DD2 (3yr) have to do all the talking if they want something from that person. In the beginning it was hard and there were a lot of tears and missed opportunities, but now they are great at it.

Now if they would just stop being freaked out by automatic toilets...

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.