LONG universal reply (love the questions, love the reality checks, thank you!!!):

Phiilip:

Lifehammer in the wraparound pad on my shoulder belt. Buck folding knife in my pocket. Leatherman Juice in my shoulder bag (which stays "on" me, even while driving). One way or another, I should be able to get out of the belts.

Each of those plus my keys. I should be able to break a side window. (I'm seriously considering going to a junkyard, and "renting" a couple of doors long enough to test each method and see how well they work.) If I can only go out the windshield or rear window, I also have a 12" crowbar under the driver's seat, and the saw blade on the Juice. Glass is more of a hazard then, though. (The crowbar is velcro strapped to one of the seat supports, with the hook helping hold it against sudden stops.)

If injuries prevent me from getting out of the car, I'll do what I can with the small FAK that's now in my bag. I'm going to put a larger FAK in the car, and I'm seriously considering keeping it under the driver's seat, too. (In a soft-sided case, so if it hits my heels/ankles, it's less likely to hurt.)

If I have life-threatening bleeding, I'll put a tourniquet on it with my belt or something if I can. I'd rather lose a limb than my life, and right now I don't know how to do anything else for a severe injury. I need to refresh my first-aid knowledge (Scouting was a LONG time ago), but right now that's all I know.

I have no one expecting me at home but my cat. If I can't get out of the car, and can't get a signal, I'll have to try to attract attention. I can get into the trunk from the passenger compartment, and there's 2 L of water in there right now (I'll be adding more this weekend).

I'm limited on what I can carry visible in the passenger compartment. I don't want to encourage breaking in, just for a bottle of water.

Susan:

Yes, my cell phone is only a first resort. Even then, I'm going to get up out of that gully/canyon if I can, just because it makes it easier for them to find me. I just put "test phone in a some canyons" on my To Do list. There are a couple of "natural" parks that I can do that in. (I'll take my full GHB with me to get a feel for walking with it on, and "just in case".

Russ:

I don't actually plan to go off the road either. But I'm well aware how fast the Salad can Hit The Fan. I've been in 5 serious collisions (only one was I even behind the wheel), and all of them were the fault of the other driver. (I don't ride with people whose driving I don't trust.) That's just the worst scenario I can think of with a day-to-day probability. (Of course I have worse ones, but they aren't that likely.)

("Salad Hits The Fan" is how a friend once explained "SHTF" to her mother. It stuck in my head ever since.)

Big Al:

City campground first. Laguna would be a later stage of testing. I haven't even built a fire in anything but a fireplace since I was in my 20's -- and that was a long time agon. Hmmm... maybe I should try to start a fire in the fireplace (yes, I have a real fireplace!) with dampened wood and a (small) fan blowing on it . . . and a wet towel and one of my fire extinguishers right there, too.

Keep 'em coming, all. Your collected knowledge and experience is truly priceless!