Originally Posted By: Susan
Leaving directions where you AREN'T going is the same as not leaving directions at all.
I figure she left directions for where she intended going and then got lost. She certainly made a lot of mistakes, but at least some things she tried to get right.

Quote:
She did send a text message about the flat tire, entirely omitting where she was at the time, a useless message except to indicate she was still alive.
She changed the tyre herself. She dealt with it, and wasn't asking for rescue at that point. The message wasn't useless; it contributed to her friend's concern, and also helped the people tracking her when they found the tyre.

Quote:
If she had had a map, left her vehicle the same evening and started walking straight west, they probably would have been found the next day.
I'm going to follow Sagebrush's view on this.

The child died, but the adult and the dog survived, and that's partly because of the things she got right. I think it's dangerous to polarise the issue. We all make mistakes. Dismissing her as completely stupid contributes to the belief that disasters only happen to other people (ie, stupid people).

Also, I suspect there was more to it we don't know. For example, it sounds like the car GPS was less useful than she expected. I would be very interested to hear her version of events.