I noticed in several posts that a few people have things in their glove boxes and consoles. This is great for helping other people in their time of crisis.
However, if YOU are the one in crisis you may not be able to reach your tools.

About 10 years ago, I was involved in an accident involving the 18 wheeler I was driving. The truck rolled onto its side. During the roll my seat belt broke and I ended up with my back pressed against the passenger side door staring out the driver's side window at the bright blue South Carolina sky. Things could have been much worse I came out with a scratch or two and a headache.
I learned several very important lessons that day including that things don't always stay put in a crash. This could include you. Unless it is well secured things will fly around. Kinetic energy is wonderful. If you need your cell phone don't expect it to be where you can reach it after a crash. Mine ended up flying out the window and landing in the middle of the road.

On a side note, it is required by law that all Commercial Motor Vehicles must contain a working fire extinguisher at all times.