Knife
Fire extinguisher
Leather gloves

Have them in your car always.

This is NOT a criticism of the rescue or rescuers that took place, but I think its interesting the number of bystanders who essentially did nothing - there was even someone so detached from the burning car that they were able to film the entire incident. This matches with my experience at a couple fairly grisly accident scenes: they don't see a way in, they don't see all the victims, they don't see a way to help the victims they know of, they are afraid of moving a victim from a burning car. I'm not critical of the bystanders, I think they basically didn't have a starting point (training and experience) for dealing with this emergency. Some people had good instincts - they saw a victim that had to get out of the car pronto, and started bashing the windshield and trying to get it out of the way. But I don't have any experience in removing a windshield either, and apparently its hard. Lucky for the firefighters arriving on scene, they at least have experience and didn't hesitate to move more glass out of the way.

Its a good scenario to ask yourself though, knowing what you know, knowing what you have in your car, where would you be if it happened today - working on the windshield, wielding a fire extinguisher, or taking the time to film this, or running away because you're afraid the car is about to explode? (they don't, at least not like on TV).