You are right, XP has some system backup options but I wouldnīt call them perfectly usable. For example restore points are unreliable - they can get deleted if system runs out of free space, they can get corrupted etc. and I believe they are useless when the system wonīt boot or if itīs attacked by some malware (correct me if I am wrong). I once needed to go back to restore point I had created before but it wasnīt there, it just disappeared.

Another option would be to use NTBackup and backup the whole registry. It could work but I have no experience with this so I donīt know if itīs bullet proof method. But I am exploring this option right now. (I wish I had one more computer just for testing.)

As for the malware and Windows deteoriation thatīs exactly why I mentioned disk imaging because itīs the most reliable solution for these problems. Itīs almost like reinstalling your system from scratch except that all your settings and software will be there. The drive will be completely overwritten by the data from image so any malware gets deleted. Those disk imaging programs work even if Windows wonīt boot.

If your system is slowing down over time you can just choose one of the early images (from your archive) that contains data describing how your system once was (fast and clean) and get back to it.

As far as I know Windows doesnīt slow down by itself. It is caused by installing and uninstalling applications, changing drivers, malware etc. If you use the same system with your main well written applications, without any "registry cleaners", without installing and uninstalling anything new, without browsing web, if you defragment the drives on a regular basis etc. then the system will be like new all the time. But thatīs not always possible. Thatīs why itīs good to have disk image and to be able to restore the system.

Of course you have to plan in advance and decide what the image should contain (what are your main applications, how will you set up them and what can be excluded, which drivers are proven etc.).