I think for most people, most of the time(obviously not counting health care workers and such), wearing masks is simply not necessary at this point, and wearing them in public may lead to alarm or panic on others, and would probably cause a lot of uncomfortable stares and such. That said...

N95 respirators are great, they're multipurpous, cheap, never go bad, and you can keep them everywhere. My favorite are the flat pack, individually wrapped, 3M model 9211, which include an exhale valve for comfort. Note that for patients suspected of being infected, they should definitely NOT wear a mask with an exhale valve, as that defeats the purpose. The biggest flaw of disposable N95(or N99, p100, etc) masks is that they will not make a perfect seal with your face, but as noted above that's less of an issue if you only need to filter water droplets.

If you want/need a mask with a better seal, especially if you have facial hair, the best way to go is a reusable rubber respirator with replaceable filters. None of them are especially comfortable, especially in hot weather, though neither are disposable masks, especially cheap ones. I use the North 7700 silicone half-mask, which is about as light and comfortable as you can get when you use a lightweight, pancake style P100 filter. The highly flexible silicone creates a better seal than other types of rubber and way better than paper masks. You can find these online for under $20, and if you buy a lot of filters the best deal I've found is at AlexGS.com. I wear a respirator almost everyday at work(mainly for fiberglass, dust, and crawlspace nastiness), and these are the best I've used, though I use their full-face respirator more often. Not to get too off-topic, but I like the wide variety of filters and cartridges I can use with these.