Right now, it's really hard to figure out just how serious it might be. Keeping in mind the SARS and avian flu scare, I'd be inclined to think it's just something blown out of proportion.

But like one of the previous posters said, WHO does NOT issue that kind of statement unless there is a truly credible threat. WHO and governments all over the world realize full well that any warning of a global outbreak is going to seriously affect the economy, which happens to be in a pretty poor state as it is. I suspect the real concern is the virus mutating in some deadlier form. It does seem to have the potential to turn into something a lot nastier.

Maybe it will turn out to be just another false alarm. But there are also some inconsistencies. For one thing, the reported number of new infections is very small. Surprisingly small in fact. Just a few days ago there was talk of about 160 dead in Mexico and several thousand infected. They've reduced those numbers an awful lot since. I don't know about everyone else but to me, all those things together do raise an eyebrow.

Personally, I've not yet taken any drastic measures and don't intend to in the foreseeable future. But if gets any worse, I can see how the flu could have a major impact on our way of life. Especially in regard to travel. My G/F is going abroad for one month, leaving this Monday. Not the best time and I must admit I'm a little worried.

While I hope for the best I'll still watch the news regularly and buy a little extra supplies just in case. YMMV.