Scafool & Canoedogs are right; your emergency kit is just that; for EMERGENCIES. When you start carrying legit shelter gear, ie sleeping bags & full tarps, you are crossing into the realm of backpacking. Now, IMHO, that isnt a bad thing; if you pack for an overnight, even for a day trip, then you're hedging your bets for a worst case scenario. Some people are more comfortable with that, and thats fine. No one here will discourage you from carrying what you want (provided it wont kill you...). For me, just to reiterate, I carry in my pockets a PSK, a small FAK, bandana, and heatsheet. I also carry a multitool and at least one other knife. Around my neck I have a whistle, matchcase w/small compass, tiny flashlight, and a ferro rod, on 8' of paracord. This stuff is with me, at all times. I ALSO carry a camelback MULE, with more stuff in it (pics in the gallery). Its ALL emergency kit; but it is broken down in to worn/carried. If I were hiking on longer trails, I would likely swap to a true daypack; however, I hike in familiar areas, and am comfy with what I carry. I would say the stuff in my pockets/around my neck is EMERGENCY gear; the stuff in the pack is "just in case".