It can vary, but the range is from 2 to 4 mph. In the city, under little or no load, on average terrain figure 4 to be a good pushing average. In the hills hiking under moderate load, figure 3. Under heavy load, or rugged terrain, figure 2 mph.

If forced, I can walk about 5 mph on easy terrain under no/minimal load, but I smoke my shins doing it, and day two would not be so good. I can do twenty miles or so a day on easy terrain under no load, 10 miles a day with moderate load on moderate terrain, and 5-6 miles a day on rough terrain or under heavy load. It's a bell curve.

No matter what I've tried, heavy load over time hurts. Either it gets my hips, or my shoulders, and no amount of ergonomics or padding is going to make an 80 lb pack ride any easier on me without bruising one or the other. I suppose if I did it regularly those areas would toughen up, but day two and three are usually quite painful strapping on the pack first thing in the morning.

It's been a few years since I've been on a good hike. I will have to let you know how the hills treat me this spring.