"Four pounds of shelter and warmth"

The night that I was looking at various kits and got to thinking about this was a cold rainy night. It was about 33 degrees and everything was wet. When I looked at the kits I was definitely thinking about the weather that we were experiencing outside.

I also hike in Colorado every summer on vacation and there it can go from very hot to snowing in a matter of an hour or two up high in the mountains.

I carry a couple of trash bags and a Heat Sheet, but have been adding a poncho and poncho liner or light sleeping bag to my daypack for almost every hike. If I break a leg or are otherwise injured, I may not be able to scout out a good natural shelter. I once broke my foot just by slipping off some cross ties at my house and landing in a very odd angle on my foot. It can and does happen. In the summer in Texas where I live, I could get by without much in the way of shelter but I feel it is worth the extra weight.

I don't mean to put down anyone's kit. We each have to carry what we are comfortable with. For me, I will opt to carry a little more bulk and weight.

David Enoch