Originally Posted By: KenK
The problem with the "in my pack" thing is that people ...

(1) ... have things happen that are well beyond the trip
exectations. Such as being stranded on a deserted tropical island when you went on a simple 3-hour tour, so they simply can't "pack correctly" ... I'm simply NOT going to carry a sleeping bag or tent while hiking 3-5 miles on a recreational area trail. I will carry plastic bags, or other survival shelters.

(2) ... fall prey to gear-seperation. Examples: Canoe overturns, flash flood takes tent w/ gear in it, tent catches on fire, person gets lost on way from quick potty-break, plane crashes & burns, took a quick afternoon hike with gear back at camp and got lost, gear was supposed to have been ferried to the main camp but didn't show up, ...

Again, in my own view, if the kit isn't with you at ALL times when outdoors, then its not a survival kit - its backpacking/camping gear. People simply don't expect to have to survive - it comes without warning.

Just my view.

I couldn't agree more. As Doug says, if it isn't with you, it's not going to help you.

I have lots of stuff in my pack. I also have a lot of stuff on my person in case my pack goes bye-bye.

Can you guess how many times I told the scouts to take their pack with them when going out in to the woods this weekend?!?!