I remember reading years ago that Boy Scouts were doomed once they advocated a Scout keeping change for use in a pay toilet rather than for a pay phone...

The simple reality is that times HAVE changed, while it's all well and good to learn woodcraft and bushcraft and all sorts of other crafts, the odds are more likely that a Scout today could use more help learning how to use things like a GPS as well as a map and compass. They had a computer merit badge when I was a Scout, punch cards, flow charts and all...If the current crop of Scoutmasters/merit badge counselors don't teach topical subjects, the Scouts will leave.

As for getting the parents involved or less involved in some cases, it sounds like you and the other ASM's need to have a parents meeting and gently explain what it is you want to do. Keep the "survival" talk to a minimum and stress "preparedness". Southern Missouri is at risk for a major earthquake, use that as an example of what you're training the Scouts to deal with.

I remember doing a survival week outing when I was in an Explorer Post, eating crawdads, berries and a little rice we brought with us, don't even know if they're still around but it was sorta like Scouts for older kids. My particular post did all kinds of more intense outdoors stuff, rock climbing, rappelling, shooting, etc., then the local Scout troop did, mainly cause we were older. It was great while it lasted, then the post leader ended up getting arrested, ironic, given that he was a local cop, I was long gone by then.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen