I've been lurking for a while and finally came up with a topic to post. My background: Retired Marine, Infantry, 22 years, Scout-Sniper, Joint Forces Special Ops, graduate of Jungle Environment Survival Training, Mountain Survival Training, and Desert Survival Training. I practice my skills consistently and stay up-to-date on the latest tips and techniques, reading, etc. I also teach fundamental survival skills when I'm not stuck behind a desk and a computer. I'm also an Assistant Scoutmaster for a Boy Scout Troop.

Situation: preparing to teach 20-30 plus Scouts, ages 11-17,
fundamental survival skills, plus their parents. The socio-economic dynamic of the Troop is one of very few "outdoors-y" or middle to lower class Scouts or families. Predominately upper middle class to upper class (whatever those phrases really mean) families, college educated, not-used-to-getting-dirty-in-need-of-a-reality-check types.

I've already run into several low grade conflicts with certain parents/individuals about some of the things I've taught the Scouts in the past. Simple things: use of a sheath knife (BSA policy is that use of sheath knives is discouraged, not outright banned, just discouraged), snares and traps, etc.

I was asked by the Scoutmaster, who knows my background and experience, to develop and teach a Wilderness Survival package over the next several months. There will be several classroom lectures with visual aids covering survival fundamentals, first aid, orienteering, shelter building, fire making, survival kits, etc., all focused on the basics to keep one alive during the 72-96 hour SAR window, so there will be no eating grubs, etc. There will be several practical application settings so the Scouts can get dirty and get a little experience in a controlled environment. This will culminate in a survival exercise where we take the Scouts out for a "day hike" that, unknown to them, turns into a 48-hour survival exercise. Safety will be stressed, with qualified parents (a couple of EMTs, etc.) manning a base camp a couple of miles away, with redundant two-way comms.

Well, already I'm running into resistance by some of the more touchy-feely parents about the classes as well as the exercise. Comments like "the lectures are too graphic" or "it sounds too dangerous, we shouldn't be teaching this to our Scouts" or, my favorite, "my boy won't be carrying a knife, of any sort, because he might cut himself." Mind you, I've also gotten a lot of acceptance and encouragement from a lot of the parents, and they want to participate in all of the instruction and the exercise.

I want to assure everyone on the forum that my lectures aren't graphic, I know I'm not teaching Marines or SEALs, but Scouts, so I've toned down my more, shall I say, enthusiastic parts, but the message is still the same and the lessons will still be taught and, hopefully, learned.

I started this post with a question in mind, but have now forgotten it. I guess I'm experiencing a bit of frustration with the recalcitrance of some of the parents in letting their Scouts learn that the world is not a nice place and that they will be better prepared (Scout motto: Be Prepared!) to face many of life's obstacles, not just survival situations, with the skills they could learn.

Any suggestions?