Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared

I won't hang from it though. Someone was talking about multiple runs of 550, but, you run into a bunch of other problems, like how to belay, abrasion on small diameters, blah blah blah. Just wanted to make the point that it's not a good choice for supporting humans.

If you are responding to my comment it is fine.
I was trying to explain how fast cord gets used up and how short a 100 foot length of cord really is.
If you look at the diameter of paracord or climber's utility cord you could never hold it. It would slice through your flesh long before you reach its safe load.

However your and Troglodyte's comments pointing out that it is not climbing rope are good.
I can see now that there might be people who misunderstood my explaining about breaking strength and using multiple strands by using my weight as an example.

I thought just maybe the 10 foot possible lowering might have been a clue, along with pointing out that 100 feet is only 10 pieces 10 feet long.
Edit
(or my weight as 400lbs)

I guess if there is any way to possibly misunderstand something there will be some people who succeed in misunderstanding it in just that way.

Edited by scafool (01/21/09 10:25 AM)