Martin,

I too left the Fire Dept. under less then perfect conditions. I was a Lt. and a female firefighter approached me saying that she and another female had been placed in "uncomfortable sexual situations" with another firefighter. I spoke with this male and he said they (the females) were making a big deal out of nothing. I did not have the authority to do much else so I took it to the Chief. He said "M. is just that way... I dont want to loose him because two chicks are to delicate for the job." I turned in my gear, my badge and my pager that evening. It was the hardest thing I have ever done.

Principle and standards are something that you have to stand by otherwise it gets lowered and then everything gets lowered. I respect what you did and trust me, there is a special place in Heaven for firefighters - past, present and future.

BTW - The two females filed a sexual harassment / hostile work environment suit on the dept. I gave a deposition and was cleared of any liable or negligence. I cant go back as I left on very bad terms, I miss it, but again I can look myself in the mirror and know that I did what I could and got out because it was not good. Hang tough brother.