Quote:
I'm also thinking I might go with the Snugpak Travelpak Lite instead of the Thermo-lite II Bivvy. I'm still planning to carry a fleece bag also.

Good idea, even better though if you go for the Snugpak Softie 3 Merlin and forget the fleece sleeping bag which is very bulky and heavy for the warmth it will provide.

Rather than including materials to make an improvised shelter (takes a lot of time and energy to construct and will most likely be inadequate if the weather changes for the worse) why not get a much more flexible shelter system such as the Golite Shangri-La 3 Tarp Shelter.

http://www.basegear.com/golite-shangri-la-3.html

It is very flexible and can be used in a wide range of weather conditions even up to low level winter conditions. It is also very spacious especially for 1 person.

An inflatable mat such as the Thermarest Prolite 3/4 is recommended and the additional weight easily outweighs any idea of not getting a decent nights sleep whilst sleeping on pine boughs or dirt for a week.

A titanium cooking pot is lightweight and much easier to clean than a coffee can. The Primus Eta pots are excellent and very efficient as well especially if used a lightweight gas stove. A 500 gm butane/propane canister would easily last more than a week. It would also allow food and beverages to be prepared inside your tent or shelter when conditions outside would be difficult.

It might sound like a campers list of items but then when ever did the military know anything about getting a good comfortable nights sleeping in a warm and dry environment.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/08/09 03:24 PM)