First, Welcome aboard.

Second, I'll never talk someone off a ledge when it comes to spending money on a 'want', as long as they can afford it. If you have the budget, do it.

I couldn't tell you how many times I have paid more for an item because I liked the color, how the zipper pull felt, the marginally improved detailing or whatever. For example, a compass is a compass right, it points North at rest and whatever direction your going the remainder of the time, (hopefully haha). So why do we fiddle over the little details?

Can you find a cheaper alternative knife that does the same thing so you can put the money into something else like a great head lamp, couple of maps, some food stuffs for emergency's? Absolutely.

We've all bought knives based on a recommendation or because we thought they were cool. I have a whole drawer full of them. And almost never used. In my EDC I rotate a 15 year old Swiss Champ, a few year old RSK Mk1 and a LM Kick. Around the house I tend to have an old stainless steel GI utility knife in my pocket. All see way more use than my fixed blades and cheaper to boot, (well the RSK is more $ but...well I prove. But its a great knife!)

Haha. Welcome aboard.