Every single one a native? Dang, when I lived there back in the 70s and 80s, it didn't seem nearly as bad. I can definitely tell you out on the east side of the state it was real easy to tell the natives from the immigrants. Come the first icing of the roads, all the transplants' rigs would be in the ditch.

I guess you must be dealing with the 2nd generation (referring to themselves now as native Washingtonians), who obviously learned their driving skills (and requisite bad attitudes) from their parents.

Well, I suppose each region has their own troubles. I was often frustrated in Florida when the freeway became an instant parking lot the moment the thunderstorm cell started to cross the road. I can understand slowing down, but to just stop and wait the storm out, what a groaner. Usually it seemed that some old person who's vision was marginally legal at best could no longer see through the blur of the windshield once the downpour started, even to the point of not being able to find the side of the road on which to vacate to, so they just stopped where they were and that was all their was to it.

In my own culpability, I have to admit that I made the mistake of trying to drive to work right after an ice storm and ended up with my pickup truck in the ditch as well. Fortunately where I went off the road it was under control and out in the middle of nowhere, so at least I had the sense to screw up where it would have the least effect on others. I left my pickup and crawled hands and knees across the frozen road to the edge of a field where I could stand and walk the rest of the way to work. 6 hours later after the Chinook came in and melted off all the ice I went and retrieved my truck, none the worse for wear thankfully.