Thanks a lot all!

I live in Minnesota, and that's usually how I get people to take me seriously. I ask them if they believe that we'll have a big blizzard in the next five years. They always say yes. Then I ask if they remember a few years back when a ice storm followed by high winds knocked out power all over the city (some areas for several weeks). They always say yes; that was a really big deal here. Then I ask if they are prepared to live for a week of more without electricity in the middle of January. Usually this turns a light on. The trouble is keeping it on.

I agree with BigDaddyTX that I start to sound like a TEOTWAWKI guy, but I don't really fell that way. I do believe that a month without any resupply is possible, if not probable. Most likely though, I imagine using my stores as a supplement (as stated above) if my wife or I (or both) were to loose our jobs.

It's amazing to me how much we (as a society) have forgotten. With the passing of Studs Turkel a few weeks ago, I've been hearing and revisiting his interviews with survivors of the Great Depression. People in general seem to think that it's impossible for something like to happen again. Given the current economic news; I think it IS happening.