This is exactly the sort of differing opinions I was hoping for. Thanks everyone.

So the question (scenario) still stands. I've prepared food and water for my family of 4 for 6 months (if we're careful), as far as I know the most my neighbors have prepared for is 72 hours. If we all come together, does that mean we go hungry (and starve) together when MY food runs out after a few weeks of feeding all of us?

Here is where I loose my way, ethically speaking. I talk to my neighbors about preparing. I encourage them to stock up. We are already a close community and I imagine a crisis would strengthen that bond, but the fact is they think I'm nuts for stocking up for 6 months.

The best case scenario in the event of something big happening, is they all have been storing food and just didn't tell anyone else about it, then we'll all have everything we need, at least for a while. I don't believe that would be the case.

I know everything is situational and I believe that Andy is correct that we can't really know how we will react before that situation comes along.

I believe this sort of event would qualify as a singularity. We might be able to see it coming, but it's impossible to see beyond it.