While I do understand the innate desire for self-preservation in times of crisis, my personal philosophy is that there is strength in numbers. Relevant to this topic I believe that an organized and cooperative group has a better chance of pulling through an extended critical situation. For example, you might want your neighboor who's a dentist to be around you when that molar gets infected.

So the question is: Would I share my family's supplies with others if a blizzard disrupted normal life for a few days or even a week or two? Yes, because that's how I was raised and educated. And I'm sure that's what many of us on this forum would do as well. That's why we prepare, isn't it?

Should I do more to get folks in the neighborhood to think about preparedness? Sure. Will I hold it against them if they don't? No, 'cause that would be against my personal set of ethics.

I think the intent of the original post was to consider the ethics of long term survival in a situation where society has failed in a significant manner. Frankly I don't think any of us knows how we would react in that situation until it happens. But I would intend to act in the manner of the hero of Pat Frank's 'Alas Babylon' and help my neighbors get by until the cavalry shows up.

This op ed piece is not a criticism of how others see the situation; I'm too old to bash others' beliefs systems. I just thought that my beliefs have merit too.