Originally Posted By: benjammin
The ant and the grasshopper...

What they don't know about my stash won't cause me any sleepless nights. If they come a calling, I will tell them the truth and say I've nothing to spare for them. It may seem cold, but all I gotta do is picture my wife and/or kids cold and hungry because I gave their food and clothes away to someone else, and that settles that idea but quick.

You draw the line at meeting your responsibilities. If you have an abundance, then go ahead and share, but I cannot predict the future so well, and who's to say that in a crisis situation, two years of food and water stock would be required to get by.

Seems pretty cut and dried to me. You put those supplies up for a reason; you don't change your mind just because some fool outside your door is suffering needlessly. You make a plan, you stick to it, and keep the outside factors outside where they belong. You wanna feed the homeless or the unprepared, make separate provisions for them outside of your own needs, and when those supplies are gone, feel good that you were able to help out as much as you did.

That, my friends, is life.

Benjammin,
Good post. My personal rule is if you need to shelter at my place, don't come empty handed (with a few exteptions) and be prepared to do what needs doing.
If others want to store supplies for future use at my place they are welcome to.