Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
'Less good' than what? the MK 3 has an ergonomic handle, fancy talk for it feels good in most hands, although Mors Kochanski critiqued the checkering when shown one. And you can index it, another fancy word for 'I can tell which end is up while cutting my way to freedom from my captor's yurt tent at night and not look stupid (again in the dark)trying to force the spine to cut felt and complaining about the fancy metallurgy.
Of course, If we HAD a fighting knife, we wouldn't be a prisoner.
Luke Skywalker's original light sabre is up for auction this weekend in Hollywood. It lacks a guard, indexing and even a sheath! it looks like those cheap torches ( flashlights)at the Megamart survival kits for $49.99.
But I digress. It's less good for what? clearing landmines if you crash in a warzone? You better buy Fallkniven's knife designed for that purpose, or buy a good long bayonet.
Impressing some survival guru? Well, definitely, do not show up with a Ritter MK 3 when you REALLY need an;atax,tracker,bushcrafter or battlemistress.
MK3 is lousy for cutting grass and vines, bettter buy a cheap Tramontina.
Building a igloo? Anyone have a carpenter's saw?
ALL KNIVES are compromises, or designed with parameters of perceived need and use.
We have the greatest selection of knives today than any other period in pre and history.
Hand a bunch of 440A Indian made fantasy swords to the greeks at Troy.
You would be elevated to God status.

On that subject I have just acquired a Benchmade model 10502 in 440C. To me, this is the knife that the MK3 should have been.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=10502

Benchmade's 440C is light years ahead of anything else I have ever used. Might be something to do with their tempering process.

Talking of the Greeks at Troy and the Bronze v 440A Steel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze

Came across this when I did a throught exercise.