Yes.

As I ventured into the family custom home building business in late 2001, I knew it was because my father needed an out, and I would not want to stay.

I came from the telecommunications industry and had watched .com go .bomb with the disastrous effects on many families of folks laid off.

I then took every extra cent not involved in keeping the company going and the family fed (+ a few extras) and invested like crazy.

Current stock market, ahem, "adjustments" have knocked me back some, but with almost all debt retired it's not too bad.

I have about 14 years to live off interest without changing lifestyle and not touching principal. Granted that is at todays dollar to cost. It was 20, but see the latest DJIA and you know the score.

My family members have some hugely expensive med's that private insurance just don't cover, so I am better off in a group plan.

As such, time to find a "real job" as my wife likes to call it. You know, one with real benefits and a real schedule, as opposed to 5am to 7pm in the field followed by 7pm to midnight with paperwork.

Just let the housing market crap out and think, last year I had 4 spec's and 25 lots. Whew, glad that stuff sold when it did. All the influence one needs to take your ball and go play somewhere else.

It may not have been the fun part of prep's, but it has made my family feel the safest. It has also allowed me to start giving back to the folks who raised me, and the community around me. Give Habitat for Humanity a call. It will be some really worth while effort.

RIP OBG