There is some contention about the 'brush gun' concept-the low velocity double 30, or 35 rem, manfully pushing aside twigs and leaves and reaching its target. The counter argument is that the gyroscopic stabilization of higher velocity, lower weight projectiles is superior to that of slower, heavier ones. The third position is that any projectile that encounters brush will land in a different spot that it would have had it not.

Lever action rifles are nostalgic and convenient to carry, but tend to give up some accuracy and reliability to the turnbolts-probably why one doesn't see the marine snipers zeroing in their savage 99's (my nominee for the prettiest long arm).

You can buy a lot of 12 gauge ammunition for $350. Maybe yuo don't actually need another firearm...
(The lynch mob of gun fanciers is forming up in front of my house even as we speak...word of this sort of heresy travels fast in the firearm fraternity...if they get me, browning and ruger 9's go to Blast, the remmy and mossy twelves to ironraven...pray for em...)