Hi Jim,

I took the compass from a cheap LED/Whistle/Compass combo tool and selected it because of the small size. I checked it and the compass does indicate direction correctly, but it is for only the crudest navigation (e.g. the highway is south of me, which the compass says is that way).

The Gerber STL (stands for Strong, Thin, Light) 2.0 is a handy little knife. It is made of titanium coated 440A stainless steel and locks open reasonably tight although I would not pry hard with it. It has one hand opening and I find I use it a lot because I usually have it with me. The knife is very small at only 3/16th of an inch (5mm) in thickness. It retails for $13.00 to $16.00, but every couple of months they go on sale at Canadian Tire for 50% off. This is the knife I usually use when I am in public instead of my Spyderco "Waved" Endura or Leatherman TTi as the larger tools tend to freak people out.

I first learned of this knife on the ETS Forum when it was mentioned by Billym here for inclusion in a DR/AMK PSK.

Mike