Look, it's like this, if you cannot tolerate the consumption of any digestible sugar in anything but a trace amount, then either you give up sweets, or you find an alternative. Right now, there is no alternative to sugar that isn't somehow bad for you, I don't care which bandwagon you jump on, some "expert" with an MD or PhD at the end of their name will cite some study and quote some chemical analysis and tell you that whatever sugar substitute you are considering will kill you. I searched the internet for every type of sweetener I could think of, and someone somewhere has something bad to say about every single one of them.

From the laymen's perspective I have on organochemistry, I have come to the conclusion that Splenda seems to be the best one out there right now, with the least number of known or realistically suspected side-effects or hazards. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I am, then so is everyone else out there using a sugar substitute right now. Since we are on the subject, regular sugar doesn't seem to be doing any better, and I can't help but think that given the trend in our social dietetic scheme for the past 50 years, it's no wonder that diabetes has become an epidemic in this country. Personally, my preference is towards table syrup first off, because that's what my family was raised on, mainly due to the fact that it was the only sweetener available in the southwest for darned near 100 years (table syrup is more appropriately known here in the north as Sorghum syrup). My second preference is for honey, but I won't even bother going into all the hazards I've heard recently about eating that stuff.

Since my wife can't eat any sugar, regardless of the type or form, we must use an alternative. If not Splenda, then you pick one, and I will post a whole slew of links explaining how it is going to poison us and we would do better spraying it in our garden to control pests.

I'll tell you one thing for sure, those squirrels in our backyard certainly didn't seem to care one whit about the Splenda I used to ice and otherwise coat those donuts in. Three of them ate the whole dozen over the weekend, and guess what, they are back for more. Maybe I will run my own little experiment and keep making squirrel food through the winter and see what happens to them come springtime.