Well, I tried to make some home made donuts this weekend. Unfortunately the oil wasn't hot enough and so they turned into oil soaked rings. I decided that the neighborhood squirrels aren't fat enough yet, so I played find the donuts with them, and broke a few up and put them on the bird feeders, where the squirrels can't get to. With all that oil in them, those critters ought to get nice and fat.

As a consolation, I made up some of Great Grandma Lindgren's swedish hard tack (an authentic recipe I got from my step-dad's family, who are swedish descendents). It is irresistable, and I share with y'all here. I improved on the original a little. Enjoy.

Big Ben’s Swedish Hard Tack

2 c all purpose flour
1 c rye flour
¼ c sugar
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup butter or margarine or butter flavor crisco
1 c buttermilk
2 tbsp fennel seed
2 tbsp caraway seed

In a medium bowl, blend flour, sugar, salt and soda. Cut in margarine until
mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and add fennel and caraway seeds
using a big wooden spoon. With floured hands, shape into ½” patties and
roll on floured board to make very thin oblong sheets that will fit on the cookie sheet. Bake on ungreased sheets at 450 deg F for fifteen minutes or until light to medium brown. A special fine checkered rolling pin can be used to give the sheets some texture, or you can roll them smooth and add texture by lightly pricking the surface with a fork all over. Serve with room temperature butter or margarine and/or slices of sharp cheddar cheese. Makes 5 or 6 sheets.